Ong-Bak (2003)

Ong-Bak (2003)



Mud People Staring at a tree: check.


Stunningly photographed: check


King of the mountain in said tree: I’m glad we didn’t think of this game when I was a kid.

If we can recover Ong-Bak: Young Ting.

Trigger warning: Asians playing baccarat.

Strung out Gambler-chick: I have double 9.

Parkour Fu: check

Knives for sale: check.

Ting runs on shoulders: Looney Tunes.

Big Bear Fu; Beer sign Fu; Refrigerator Fu; Penny Fu; Underwater Fu; Rope Fighting Fu: check.

Tracheostomy Smoking: check.

Burmese Junkie Fu; Six-rigs-at-a-time Fu; Fire Fu; Lots of Instant Replay Fu; Sword Fu; We’re back to Rope Fighting Fu; Buddha Head Fu: check.

Ultra Noir Cinematography. I've only seen two Thai films, as far as I can remember, and they both knocked my socks off: this one and Chocolate. The both really get noir right. And a little googling tells me that they both have the same director and choreographer. The worldwide rights were purchased by Luc Besson who released District B13 a year later.

I saw a 35mm version that had the Thai rock music score, but had the western editing.

Great flick. By all means, check this one out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kizu Monogatari 1, 2 and 3

Solo LM

Last Jedi +/+