La La Land

 La La Land: Definitive Review

Opening scene: As good as it gets.

Choreography: MTVish, but still stunning.

Tons of stuff going on in the background: Mad-Magazine-worthy.

Characters singing in character: Check.

Planetarium hijinks cameo: Check.

Boy meets girl: Cool.

Boy loses girl: Pedestrian.

Spoiler: Boy wins girl back: Alas!

Ending: Mystifying, but perhaps beyond my artistic threshold.

I couldn't bond with the characters, while to this day I still care about what happens to Lucky and Ginger Rogers in Swing Time.

I was expecting to hate this movie but had a great time watching it. Whenever it started to drag, somebody would start singing and dancing, so no time was wasted on plot.

Also, Hollywood just loves movies about Hollywood. I was perplexed by how this flick was beating out such masterpieces as Shin Godzilla and The Handmaiden, but there you have it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kizu Monogatari 1, 2 and 3

Solo LM

Last Jedi +/+